The building was purpose built in July 1916 to house a suite of offices to service the new ultra modern Boonah Butter Factory. It contained a Manager’s Office, Accountant’s Office, Clerk’s Room Public Office, storerooms and staff dining room. Commanding a site at the entry to town it was officially opened by His Excellency the Governor, Major Sir Hamilton Goold-Adams. In total the Boonah Butter Factory co-operative spent more than £10,000 on the new factory and office complex.
THE BOOM YEARS
The butter factory still stands to the north-west of the Café. The Boonah Butter Factory in its prime was the largest butter factory in the southern hemisphere and had 958 suppliers of cream. The butter was world renowned and was mainly shipped to England. The wooden boxes that the butter was packed and shipped in were made by the local mills from locally sawn hoop pine. Wagons, carts and slides carrying cans of rich cream made a daily morning procession down Railway Street to the factory’s receiving galley.
FLAVOURS CAFÉ TODAY
In 1999 the building was purchased and transformed into Flavours Café. Over the years the building has been sympathetically restored and wherever possible appropriate material was used to bring the building to the wonderful condition you see today. The Scenic Rim Regional Council recognised the historic significance of the building in 2014 and placed it on the Scenic Rim Heritage Register.